This past March, ASAP’s Local Food Research Center sent a survey to all Appalachian Grown (AG) certified farms. The purpose of this survey was to better understand the experiences of farmers in our region, learn about the impact of our work, and to gather feedback to help shape the program’s future direction. We are very pleased to share that we received responses from 222 farms.
Our 2015 AG Producer Survey Report contains the findings from the survey and a summary of selected survey results from over the last three years. Highlights from our findings:
- Most farmers report that there are more market outlets available to them in 2015 compared to 2014;
- Customers are specifically asking for AG certified products – 68% of respondents reported that customers are asking for AG certified products;
- Farmers are using AG materials to brand their products – 47% of farmers’ total sales were identified as AG;
- Farmers consider AG promotional materials to be very important in helping to increase sales;
- Restaurants are the biggest area of increased sales – 29% reported that their sales to restaurants increased from 2014 to 2015.
Our 2016 Appalachian Grown survey will be sent in January 2017.