The Black Mountain Tailgate Market seeks a hardworking, motivated, detail oriented self-starter
to lead our community focused market. This is a year-round, part-time, position varying
seasonally from 10 to 15 hours per week May- November and 2-5 hours December- April and is
overseen by the BMTM Board of Directors.
The Market Manager is responsible for providing appropriate planning, operational and
promotional management for the market. In addition to a commitment to the mission of BMTM,
the market manager must have a strong work ethic, be creative, tech savvy, and able to
effectively manage the challenge of working on a wide variety of tasks.
- Our market season begins the first Saturday in May and runs each Saturday through
November (Saturday before Thanksgiving). Regular hours include Saturdays
7:45am-12:30pm during the main market season. Weekday hours will vary based on
market needs. Total hours will average approximately 10-15 hours per week during the
main season (May- November).
- Winter hours will be spent working both independently and in conjunction with the Board of Directors and committees to plan the upcoming season (December-April).
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Manage planning and implementation for weekly market operations
- Review vendor applications, selection, and scheduling
- Monitor product mix management to enhance supply, selection, and appeal
- Maintain effective communication with members, day vendors, customers, First Baptist Church, sponsors, musicians, and special guests
- Enforce market policies, rules, and regulations
- Book musicians
- Coordinate and complete pre-market preparations and set-up (e.g. setting up all market infrastructure, items for market booth, sponsor and community booth spaces)
- Oversee and maintain market storage; organize items and ensure in working order
- Ensure post-market break-down is complete
- Schedule and assign tasks to staff or volunteers
- Send map and list of vendors by Wednesday evening each week to members, day vendors, and volunteers
- Collect day vendor fees by Tuesday
Marketing and Sponsors
- Coordinate sponsor recruitment and make sure sponsors are receiving their benefits
- Coordinate with the Board of Directors to establish special events and fundraisers
- Implement marketing, outreach, and promotion including market features (e.g. events, community booth and sponsor booth guests, and customer engagement activities)
- Write newsletter to go out each Thursday evening through Mailchimp
- Actively update social media (Instagram and Facebook)
- Work with the Board of Directors and members
- Prepare and participate in market meetings
- Serve as liaison between the BMTM and the Town of Black Mountain to promote the market
- Coordinate and maintain relationship with leasor (First Baptist Church)
- Manage volunteers
- Manage the budget in tandem with the Treasurer, including developing the yearly market budget
- Manage vendor fee collection, SNAP sales and activities
- Distribute token reimbursement checks every other week
- Maintain record keeping for finances in tandem with the Treasurer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Commitment to creating community around local food, products, and crafts
- Focus on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in regards to outreach and decision making processes
- Facebook, Instagram, Mailchimp
- Recruit Sponsors and Community Booth guests
- Reliable in meeting assigned schedules and responsibilities
- Ability to complete routine duties with consistency and attention to detail
- Accuracy in dealing with processes and record keeping
- Physically able to handle repetitive tasks including lifting and carrying (35lbs)
- Must have reliable vehicle, computer with internet access, and smart phone
- Confident planning and implementing customer engagement activities/events
- Commitment to friendly, effective customer service
- Self-directed and able to work independently
- Positive attitude
The starting salary range for this part time position is: $16-18/hr, depending on experience
- Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references (name, email, and phone number of reference) with the subject line: “Market Manager Position” to BlackMountainTailgate@gmail.com
- Documents must be PDF or Google Docs format.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants.
- This posting will remain open until filled. Applications only accepted by email. Please do not call.
- The Black Mountain Tailgate Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, political beliefs, creed, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.