Who Is Eligible?
Applications will be considered only if all of the following criteria are met:
1. Farms must be located in the continental United States.
2. Farms must be working, independent family farms. These are farms on which a family or individual owns the animals, is engaged in the day to day management of the farm and its animals, derives a share of livelihood from the farm, and produces a livestock product for sale. (Schedule F form or a general farm income statement from your 2016 or 2017 tax return is required with application.)
3. Proposed projects must impact at least one of these species: pigs, broiler chickens, laying hens, turkeys, sheep, dairy cows, or beef cattle.
4. All proposed projects must begin and be completed within the time frame of February 2019 through February 2020. Projects that are completed before February 2019 are not eligible for funding.
5. Only one application per farm per year will be accepted.
6. If awarded a grant, farmers must agree to a scheduled farm visit(s) by FACT and/or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) staff, as well as flash photography and videos during the visit, and the use of the farm name/photos/video in FACT and/or ASPCA publications and websites.
7. Farms must already raise animals (produce-only farms are not eligible). Projects involving a new species of animals on an existing livestock/poultry operation will be considered.
8. No funds will be awarded to:
- Farms that are in their first year of production or to non-profit organizations.
- The purchase of animals (with the exception of livestock guardian dogs), land, or recurring expenses such as animal feed.
- Projects related to the production of raw milk.
- Projects related to the slaughter, transportation, and/or processing of animals.
What Activities Are Eligible?
Food Animal Concerns Trust (FACT) provides grants up to $2,500 to qualifying farmers who need assistance in improving the welfare of their farm animals. FACT offers two types of grants: Pasture Improvement Grants and Certification Grants.
Applications and related materials must be submitted online by 11:59pm CST on November 28, 2018.
For full grant details and an application, visit: https://foodanimalconcernstrust.org/grants/
Please contact Larissa McKenna, FACT’s Humane Farming Program Director, at [email protected] or at (773) 525-4952 with any questions after reviewing these guidelines.