ASAP’s mission is to help local farms thrive, link farmers to markets and supporters, and build healthy communities through connections to local food. ASAP (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) is a nonprofit that works to accomplish our mission by:
- Providing marketing support and training to area farmers
- Connecting area chef and foodservice buyers with the farmers who suit their needs
- Spearheading a Local Food Campaign, which includes our Local Food Guide, local food bumper sticker (have one on your car?), Get Local initiative, and more
- Certifying local products grown/raised in the Southern Appalachians as Appalachian Grown
- Running our Growing Minds Farm to School Program, which focuses on reconnecting children with where their food comes from
- Organizing Asheville City Market and coordinating the Mountain Tailgate Market Association
- And with your support!
Or check out this overview of what we do and why we do it.
Our vision is one of strong farms, thriving local food economies, and healthy communities where farming is valued as central to our heritage and our future.