Get a feel for the event by watching this video from our 2013 Business of Farming Conference.
ASAP’s Business of Farming Conference is a day of learning and networking for those involved in local food and farming. Each year, approximately 250 area farmers, agriculture professionals, and business and marketing specialists attend tailored 90-minute workshops, meet with restaurant and wholesale buyers, tour Warren Wilson’s farm and garden, and celebrate the start of the season. If you’re currently farming or seriously considering farming as a profession, you won’t want to miss our 2014 conference!
When: Saturday, February 22, 2014 (7:30 am- 5:30 pm)
Where: Warren Wilson College: 701 Warren Wilson Road, Swannanoa, NC 28778
Cost: $40 per person or $60 for two farm partners by Jan. 31; $60 per person or $90 for two farm partners Feb. 1 and later
Questions: Call us at 828-236-1282
2014 workshop topics include:
(tracks offered for beginning and experienced farmers)
- Food safety certification
- CSA models
- Managing labor on the farm
- Hosting families and school groups
- QuickBooks™ beginner and advanced
- Adding value to your products
- Easy website and blog platforms
- Selling more at farmers markets
- Agritourism: growing your farm with safety and fun
- Farm business planning
- Land access issues
- And more!
Other 2014 offerings include:
- Grower-buyer meetings (meet with restaurant owners, chefs, distributors, and grocers to discuss the possibility of a match between what you produce on your farm and what these buyers need)
- Opportunities to meet with professional consultants and attorneys (engage in small, informal sessions for support around legal issues, social media, accounting, business planning, and more)
- A locally sourced lunch and breakfast
- A comprehensive resource notebook
- The chance to tour Warren Wilson College’s farm and garden
Directions, Map, and Accommodations
- Holiday Inn – Biltmore East at Blue Ridge Parkway – 828-298-5611
- Motel 6 – 828-299-3040
- Days Inn – 828-298-4000
- Super 8 – 828-298-7952
Most of Asheville is within 15-20 minutes of the conference site, and Asheville has more than 6,000 hotel rooms. There is no need to restrict yourself to these four choices.
The following establishments are within 30 minutes of Asheville. You’ll find additional options in the B&B’s/Farm Lodging section of ASAP’s Local Food Guide. Being 30 minutes from Asheville, some may be 40 minutes from the conference site. Also note that some are rural and may be difficult to access in inclement weather, so ask the farmer/innkeeper if you have concerns about travel distances.
- Cloud 9 Relaxation Home
- Mountain Valley Rock House at Dogwood Hills Farm
- Hawk and Ivy Bed and Breakfast
- Highland Lake Inn
- Inn on Main Street
- Princess Anne Hotel