Fresh and Local for Everyone!
Many farmers markets in the Appalachian Grown region accept SNAP/EBT. Find a list, as well as information about market hours, locations, and vendors. Taking the bus? Find Asheville farmers markets that accept SNAP/EBT on the ART bus line.
How does SNAP at farmers markets work?
- Bring your SNAP/EBT card to the market information table.
- Swipe your card for the amount of money you want to spend.
- Receive that amount of money in market tokens to use on eligible products at individual farmer stands.
- Shop for fresh and healthy food while supporting local farmers!
- No cash back, but tokens do not expire.
Double your SNAP dollars!
The following markets are offering Double SNAP incentives in 2020. Swipe your card for $5 and get $10 in market tokens to spend on SNAP-eligible items. (Double SNAP programs can vary by market and may have caps or other restrictions. Check with individual markets to confirm details.) Hear more about ASAP’s Double SNAP program on our Growing Local podcast.
- ASAP Farmers Market, Asheville, Saturdays, 9 a.m.–noon
- Ashe County Farmers Market, West Jefferson, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- East Asheville Tailgate Market, Fridays, 3–6 p.m.
- Enka-Candler Tailgate Market, Thursdays, 3:30–6:30 p.m.
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market, Waynesville, Saturdays 8 a.m.–noon
- Hendersonville Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market: Tuesdays, 3–6 p.m., Saturdays, 9 a.m.–noon
- Hub City Farmers Market, Spartanburg, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Jackson County Farmers Market, Wednesdays, 3:30–6 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m.–noon
- Johnson City Farmers Market, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 7 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Jonesborough Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- King Street Market, Boone, Tuesdays, 4–7 p.m.
- Market Square Farmers’ Market, Knoxville: Wednesdays, 11 a.m.–2 p.m., Saturdays, 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Mars Hill Farmers & Artisans Market, Saturdays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Mills River Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- New Harvest Farmers’ Market, Knoxville, Thursdays, 3–6 p.m.
- North Asheville Tailgate Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Rutherford County Farmers Market, Forest City, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- TD Saturday Market, Greenville, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Transylvania Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Watauga County Farmers Market, Boone, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- West Asheville Tailgate Market, Tuesdays, 3:30–6:30 p.m.
Find other places to buy local food and double your SNAP dollars with MountainWise.
What items are eligible to buy with SNAP?
- fruits and vegetables
- breads and cereals
- meats, fish, poultry
- dairy products
- seeds and plants that produce edible foods
Want to accept SNAP at your farmers market?
Find resources for improving your existing SNAP market program or starting a new program at your market.