Fresh and Local for Everyone!
Many farmers markets in the Appalachian Grown region accept SNAP/EBT. Find a list, as well as information about market hours, locations, and vendors. Taking the bus? Find Asheville farmers markets that accept SNAP/EBT on the ART bus line.
How does SNAP at farmers markets work?
- Bring your SNAP/EBT card to the market information table.
- Swipe your card for the amount of money you want to spend.
- Receive that amount of money in market tokens to use on eligible products at individual farmer stands.
- Shop for fresh and healthy food while supporting local farmers!
- No cash back, but tokens do not expire.
Double your SNAP dollars!
The following markets are offering SNAP incentives in 2020. Swipe your card for $5 and get $10 in market tokens to spend on SNAP-eligible items. Double SNAP programs can vary by market and may have caps or other restrictions. Check with individual markets to confirm details.
ASAP’s Double SNAP program:
- ASAP Farmers Market, Asheville, Saturdays, 9 a.m.–noon *
- East Asheville Tailgate Market, Fridays, 3–6 p.m.
- Enka-Candler Tailgate Market, Thursdays, 3:30–6:30 p.m.
- Hendersonville Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Mills River Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon †
- North Asheville Tailgate Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Transylvania Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon *
- West Asheville Tailgate Market, Tuesdays, 3:30–6:30 p.m.
* in partnership with MountainWise
† in partnership with Henderson County Partnership for Health
Additional farmers markets offering SNAP incentives:
- Ashe County Farmers Market, West Jefferson, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market, Waynesville, Saturdays 8 a.m.–noon
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market: Tuesdays, 3–6 p.m., Saturdays, 9 a.m.–noon
- Hub City Farmers Market, Spartanburg, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Jackson County Farmers Market, Wednesdays, 3:30–6 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m.–noon
- Johnson City Farmers Market, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 7 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Jonesborough Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- King Street Market, Boone, Tuesdays, 4–7 p.m.
- Market Square Farmers’ Market, Knoxville: Wednesdays, 11 a.m.–2 p.m., Saturdays, 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Mars Hill Farmers & Artisans Market, Saturdays, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
- New Harvest Farmers’ Market, Knoxville, Thursdays, 3–6 p.m.
- Rutherford County Farmers Market, Forest City, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- TD Saturday Market, Greenville, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
- Watauga County Farmers Market, Boone, Saturdays, 8 a.m.–noon
Find other places to buy local food and double your SNAP dollars with MountainWise.
What items are eligible to buy with SNAP?
- fruits and vegetables
- breads and cereals
- meats, fish, poultry
- dairy products
- seeds and plants that produce edible foods
Want to accept SNAP at your farmers market?
Find resources for improving your existing SNAP market program or starting a new program at your market.