Fresh and Local for Everyone!
Many farmers markets in the Appalachian Grown region accept SNAP/EBT. Find a list, as well as information about market hours, locations, and vendors. Taking the bus? Find Asheville farmers markets that accept SNAP/EBT on the ART bus line.
How does SNAP at farmers markets work?
- Bring your SNAP/EBT card to the market information table.
- Swipe your card for the amount of money you want to spend.
- Receive that amount of money in market tokens to use on eligible products at individual farmer stands.
- Shop for fresh and healthy food while supporting local farmers!
- No cash back, but tokens do not expire.
Double your SNAP dollars!
The following markets offer Double SNAP. Swipe your card for $5 and get $10 in market tokens to spend on SNAP-eligible items. (Some Double SNAP programs have caps or other restrictions. Check with individual markets to confirm details.)
- ASAP Farmers Market, Asheville, Saturdays, 9 a.m. to noon
- Hendersonville Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Mills River Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m. to noon
- Transylvania Farmers Market, Saturdays, 8 a.m. to noon
Hear more about Double SNAP on our Growing Local podcast.
What items are eligible to buy with SNAP?
- fruits and vegetables
- breads and cereals
- meats, fish, poultry
- dairy products
- seeds and plants that produce edible foods
Want to accept SNAP at your farmers market?
Find resources for improving your existing SNAP market program or starting a new program at your market.