The saying goes, “Happiness is handmade.” That’s precisely the point of area holiday farmers tailgate markets happening now: to provide homegrown, homemade happiness for all this season.
Do you start decorating for Christmas come Thanksgiving? Be sure to visit markets for your locally grown tree, wreaths, and greenery. At Asheville City Market’s first holiday tailgate on Saturday, November 30—note their hours change to 10 am-1 pm—look for trees from vendors including Corners Knob Farm and decor from Fisher Branch Farm.
Do you like to start checking items off your holiday shopping list this weekend? You’ll find lots of gift options at tailgates—from socks and scarves to soaps and salves, including some unique finds for foodies! For fungi fans, look for inoculated logs for home mushroom growing. For pollinator proponents, look for colorful beeswax candles from vendors like Osada Bee Farm at North Asheville Tailgate Market (to become the Holiday Bazaar in December). For heat seekers, find unique herb blends and spicy salsas. And the list goes on.
Do you clean out your fridge and pantry with Thursday’s feast and need to restock? Shop markets now for greens, potatoes, eggs, honey, meats, cheese, breads, baked goods, and more.
Reading this before Thanksgiving? Check out last week’s report for the items you’ll find at Tuesday and Wednesday markets.
If you’re away visiting friends and family, don’t worry, holiday markets will offer trees, gifts, and farm-fresh foods into December.
The following holiday markets have already begun or begin November 30:
- Asheville City Market: Saturdays, through December 21, at the Public Works Building, 161 Charlotte St., 10 am-1 pm
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market: Saturdays, through mid-December, from 9 am to 12 pm. At the HART Theater parking lot, 250 Pigeon St, Waynesville.
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market: Tuesdays 3-6 pm and Saturdays 9 am-12 pm, through December 14, at the intersection of West Henderson St. and Logan St.
- Madison County Farmers & Artisans Market: Saturdays, through December 21, 9 am -1 pm at Fiddlestix, 37 Library St, Mars Hill
- Weaverville Tailgate Market: Wednesdays, through December 18, 2-6 pm, 60 Lakeshore Dr., inside the community center near Lake Louise
Many more holiday tailgates begin in December; some markets, like Jackson County Farmers Market, are also open and ending their regular seasons now. Click here for a full list of holiday markets. And, check out our lists of closing dates and 2013-2014 winter tailgates.
To learn about market events/find a market schedule, visit our farmers market calendar or browse our online Local Food Guide.