Last winter, ASAP and Asheville City Market experimented with hosting an indoor winter market at the tailgate’s south location. The result? Fanfare. In fact, it was so well received that Asheville City Market South will operate as an indoor winter market again this year, and Asheville City Market downtown will move indoors for the first time as well.
But our market isn’t alone in staying open during what was once the “off season.” In fact, more winter markets will operate in WNC this year than ever before!
2013 WNC Winter Farmers Markets*
Vendors will offer cold-weather and greenhouse-grown produce, baked goods, home goods and more.
- Asheville City Market: January 12-March 30, Saturdays 10 am-1 pm at the Haywood Park Hotel atrium.
- Asheville City Market South: January 9-February 27, Wednesdays 11 am-3 pm at 28 Schenck Parkway in Biltmore Park Town Square (lobby of WCU’s satellite campus).
- Bakersville Farmers Market: December-May, 2nd Saturdays 10 am-2 pm at the Historic Courthouse.
- French Broad Food Co-op Tailgate Market: Friday afternoons this winter on the patio of French Broad Food Co-op. Note: The market is held Wednesdays during the regular season but moves to Fridays for the winter. This is not a full market, but a few vendors will likely sell each week. Stay tuned to the Co-op’s Facebook page or market’s page for updates.
- Grow Down Home Winter Market: February 9 and March 9, Saturdays 10 am-1 pm at the Grow Down Home Kitchen located at 105 Richardson Blvd. in Black Mountain. Coincides with Winter Sun Farms CSA delivery.
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market: January-March, Saturdays 9 am-noon at the HART Theater parking lot in Waynesville. Note: This is not a full market. The market’s regular seafood vendor will stay to provide seafood during the winter when available and may be joined by value-added producers. Stay tuned to the market’s Facebook page for updates.
- Jackson County Farmers Market: January 5-spring, Saturdays 10 am-1 pm at the Community Table on Central Street.
- Madison County Indoor Winter Market: January-March, 2nd and 4th Saturdays 10 am-2 pm at Madison County Cooperative Extension.
- Neighborhood Y at Woodfin Reynolds Mountain Winter Tailgate: January 5-spring, Saturdays 10 am-12:30 pm at LOFTS at Reynolds Village, Building 51.
- Spruce Pine Farmers Market: January-April, 3rd Saturdays 2-6 pm at Mountainside Wine.
- Winter Market at Blue Ridge Food Ventures: January 9 and February 6 (March date to be added), 9 am-1 pm and 4-7 pm at Blue Ridge Food Ventures, 1461 Sand Hill Road in Asheville.
*Note: This information is compiled by ASAP; details subject to change. Check with individual markets for specifics. We also hear that just outside of WNC, intrepid vendors are still selling at the Johnson City Farmers Market; check their Facebook page for details.