This recipe comes from Operations Coordinator Taylor Millington (via Host the Toast blog). Local honey and eggs are abundant at farmers markets right now.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray or lightly butter an 13 x 9″ baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the melted butter, sugar and honey. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until well-combined. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, a bit at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and let sit for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the pan and brush with melted butter. Serve warm.