This is a great recipe for using up leftover veggies or grains you may already have in the pantry. Feel free to substitute your favorites! You can make this a protein bowl by adding an egg, tofu, or chicken.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups brown rice (or substitute farro, quinoa, or other whole grain)
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (or substitute other greens, like spinach, kale, or collards)
- 1 sweet bell pepper or avocado, diced
- 2 cups of broccoli or cauliflower florets
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 2–3 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- Chives, scallions, or garlic, minced (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Finely chop Swiss chard stems and tear leaves into several pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté sweet potato, chard stems, and broccoli or cauliflower florets. When the veggies are almost tender, add chard leaves and cook for a few more minutes. Season veggies with salt and pepper to taste. (You can also roast veggies in an oven or toaster oven at 400 degrees for 10–15 minutes.)
- Build your own grain bowl by adding a scoop of rice and a scoop of sautéed veggie mixture to a bowl. Top with diced pepper or avocado.
- Grain bowls are often served with dressing. Top your rice and veggies with a bottled salad dressing of your choice, or make this simple tangy yogurt dressing. Mix a cup of plain yogurt with a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and your choice of minced garlic, chives, or scallion.