As part of ASAP’s Farm Fresh for Health initiative, we partnered with community health professionals to bring you virtual demos to inspire cooking for yourself and your family. Shop for ingredients at a farmers market near you! This super creamy (but totally vegan) kale salad comes from Lauren Furgiuele, RDN, LDN of Planting Roots Nutrition.
- 1 teaspoon high heat oil, such as avocado or grapeseed
- ½ to 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons Darë vegan garlic brie, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Juice from ⅓ lemon
- 1 garlic clove or ¼ to ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, washed and destemmed
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light, sweet vinegar, such as white balsamic
- Sliced or shredded carrots
- Green onions/scallions
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Diced apples
- Protein, such as eggs or meat
- Nuts or seeds
- Heat 1 teaspoon of high heat oil in pan at medium-low heat. Add minced shallot and sauté on low heat for about 3 minutes, or until shallots begin to slightly brown. Keep a close eye on them as you do not want them to burn! Remove shallots from pan.
- Add all dressing ingredients (cooked shallots, garlic brie, extra virgin olive oil, water, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper) to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. NOTE: If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you will need to mince the garlic in advance, and then simply add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, add your washed and de-stemmed kale to a large bowl. Drizzle lemon juice and vinegar on over the kale. Using clean hands, massage the liquids into the kale for about 1 to 2 minutes, until all of the kale is evenly massaged and coated. The volume of kale will slightly decrease in size. Be conservative with the amount of vinegar you initially add, as you can always add more if you feel like you need more liquid to coat the kale.
- Optional: Now you can get creative and top your salad with additional add-ons if you want. You can make this as simple or complex as you want.
- Top the massaged kale salad with the vegan creamy brie dressing! The dressing can be stored in the fridge between use. NOTE: it will harden in the fridge. Let it sit out for a bit before using to allow it to come to room temperature.